Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Afterthought #32 - Wait! Wait!

Back in April, I gushed about how, as a devoted fan of National Public Radio (NPR), I had toured NPR national headquarters in Washington, DC.  I also admitted that I often listen to podcasts of Wait Wait… Don’t Tell Me (WWDTM) on my walks, laughing out loud as host Peter Sagal quizzes a team of comedians about the week’s “news.”

So.  My husband wasn’t surprised when I suggested for our anniversary that we buy tickets to be in the audience when WWDTM came to Seattle’s Paramount Theater. We laughed together as panelists Maz Jobrani, Paula Poundstone and Luke Burbank joked their way through some of the week’s headlines. Their confusion about the United Kingdom is especially funny.

We also cheered as native Washingtonian and travel guru Rick Steves played “Not My Job.”  I’ve long appreciated Rick’s approach to travel as a way to broaden our perspectives and promote understanding of our world.  That value came through in Rick’s lighthearted interview with Peter, along with his advocacy for drug reform.  When I visited Rick’s website, I also learned about how his faith influences his activism, particularly related to homelessness.

You can listen to the show that aired Sept. 20.  And while you’re at it, don’t forget to contribute to your local affiliate of this listener-supported broadcasting organization.  It will make you smile.




 “Afterthoughts” are my blog version of a practice followed in some Quaker meetings. After meeting for worship ends, people continue in silence for a few more minutes during which they’re invited to share thoughts or reflect on the morning's worship. I’ve adopted the form here for last-day-of-the-month brief reflections on headlines, quotes, comments overheard, maybe even bumper stickers.



No comments:

Post a Comment